The public listed company G.U.D Holdings Limited was founded in 1938 by Harry Sharples, Arthur Harford and Bill Ryan in Melbourne, Australia. During World War II Americans based in Australia were importing Fram filters; Bill Ryan travelled to the United States where he met Steve Wilson, founder of the Fram Corporation of Providence, Rhode Island, and negotiated distribution rights for Fram filters in Australia. (“Fram” being the Norwegian for “foremost”, its ship trademark linking it with the Fram, the ship used by Roald Amundsen, the first explorer to reach the South Pole in 1911). The distribution rights for Fram filters formed the foundation for the company G.U.D.
Founding member, Arthur Harford establishes G.U.D South Africa in 1949. Thirteen years later Fram USA begins local operations with a factory in Wadeville, South Africa. In 1978, G.U.D South Africa acquired G.U.D Limited, the Australian company and becomes G.U.D. Filters (Pty) Ltd. In 1979 G.U.D. Filters takes over Fram SA and changes its company name to Stag.
In 1983 Fram moves to Pietermaritzburg after larger premises is acquired and a modern factory is built on Willowton Road. Stag changes its company name again to Filpro (Filter Professionals). Filpro is responsible for the manufacture and marketing of the Fram brand and later becomes a subsidiary of G.U.D. Filters in 1986.
Filpro expands from only automotive to include industrial filtration from 1988-2001. Filpro Industrial Filtration obtains various license agreements with overseas companies in the mining and aviation industry. Heavy duty filter production moves from Durban and Atlantis to Pietermaritzburg.
In 2004 G.U.D. Holdings (Pty) Ltd is formed and merges the EFI Division, Filpro and G.U.D. Filters into one consolidated corporate entity. G.U.D. Holdings (Pty) Ltd stable of products includes G.U.D. Filters and Fram Filters.
In 2010 G.U.D. installed a new state of the art Cabin Air Filter line, producing the first locally manufactured cabin air filters. Africa becomes a key focus area for the business and the Africa Operations Department is established.
An enterprise development company called Filpro is established by G.U.D in 2011. Filpro empowers informal motor mechanics operating their businesses from home, roadsides and semi-established workshops through product and business training.
The G.U.D. Holdings stable of companies continues to grow with the acquisition of Safeline Brake Pads.
Indy Oil, an independent lubricant blender was acquired by G.U.D. Holdings in 2014. Established in 2000, Indy Oil manufactures lubricants and chemicals for the automotive, heavy duty and industrial markets. G.U.D also acquires Precision Press, a manufacturer of automotive metal pressing and sub-assemblies in 2014. Precision Press will support our manufacturing division and strengthen our relationships with OEM’s.
A world-class blending plant facility was built on the Pietermaritzburg site in 2015 providing new production capabilities and consists of 14 bulk storage tanks. Production capabilities at the facility were expanded to include blow moulding equipment for the in-house manufacture of Indy Oil bottles. In 2015 all heavy duty and air filter production are relocated from Prospecton to Pietermaritzburg.
In 2016 Indy Oil refocuses on its Industrial lubricant offerings and the development of customized industrial lubricants for customer specific applications. The Industrial division is expanded to include a dedicated sales team. Indy Oil launches several new automotive chemical products including engine flush, radiator flush and injection cleaners.
In 2017 G.U.D. acquires Holts (Pty) Ltd. G.U.D. renames it to G.U.D. Chemicals (Pty) Ltd and continues with the exclusive distribution of the Holts and Prestone brands in Sub-Saharan Africa.
A G.U.D. Holdings Analytical Centre is constructed at the Pietermaritzburg manufacturing site with a multi-million rand investment in state of art laboratory equipment with advanced lubricant testing capabilities.
Safeline launches SAFETRAC, a friction surface layer characterised by its visible red coating, to provide additional friction to the brake pad during the bedding-in process. This improves Safeline brake pads stopping power and safety.